The TEC Center conducts research to scientifically answer critical questions regarding the role of technology on young children’s learning and development.
Current Research Projects
- Peer to Peer Research Project: Funded by the Susan Crown Exchange through their Youth Voice Challenge, Erikson Institute’s Alexis Lauricella, PhD will launch a two-year pilot research and development project that empowers adolescent youth in Evanston, IL to help each other use digital technology in healthy and productive ways. The project includes opportunities for adolescents to conduct the research and then use the research to inform the development of a curriculum for a peer to peer mentorship program with middle school students.
- Remote Teaching Teacher Survey: We are conducting a large quantitative survey to document how early childhood teachers (grades PreK-3rd) used technology to support students during remote or e-learning due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you are an early childhood educator and would like to participate in this study please contact us here.
- Media Literacy in Early Childhood Education Survey: We are conducting a large quantitative survey to document whether and how early childhood educators (grades PreK-3rd) teach their young children about media literacy concepts. If you are an early childhood educator and would like to participate in this study please contact us here.
Past Research Projects
- 1:1 Technology Use in 1st Grade Classrooms: Funded internally by the Erikson Faculty Innovation Fund, Alexis Lauricella, PhD and PhD student Missi Jacobson conducted qualitative interviews with 1st grade teachers and observations of students using technology in classrooms. The purpose of this project is to document how teachers and students use technology in the classroom when they have access to 1:1 technology.
- Lauricella, A. R., & Jacobson, M. (2020, May). Naturalistic Observations of Technology Use in Early Childhood Classrooms. Paper presented at the International Communication Association, Gold Coast, Australia, Virtual Conference.