StoryCorp and Google announced today that to launch #TheGreatListen campaign there will be a link on the Google homepage to StoryCorps so families can record their elder’s stories at Thanksgiving. We can’t think of a better way to use technology to help children and grandparents connect on Thanksgiving and to talk about immigration, childhood memories and the art of storytelling.
Erikson institute’s Technology in Early Childhood (TEC) Center has 5 question children can ask grandparents and other relatives using the StoryCorps app or using the audio/video record function on a smartphone or tablet to record these important stories:
- How did our family come to the United States?
- Follow-up question: Why do live where we live? How did you choose this city or town or state?
- Can you tell me about your favorite toy or game when you were a child?
- Follow-up question: What were the rules? Who did you play it with?
- Can you tell me about a time you were the happiest as a child?
- Follow-up question: What about a time when you were the most disappointed or sad?
- Who was your best friend when you were a child?
- Follow-up question: What was your favorite thing to do together?
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
- Follow-up question: How did you end up becoming a _______?
Happy Thanksgiving and happy listening from the TEC Center team! We are grateful for having such an incredible community of supporters and listeners! We learn so much from all of the professionals we work and play with!
-Chip, Tamara and Katie!