In celebration of Media Literacy Week 2018, TEC Center has assembled a list of ten media literacy resources for parents, early childhood educators, practitioners, informal learning professionals, and anyone who works with young children. The list of resources includes definitions, checklists, FAQ’s, and dives deeper into many aspects of media literacy and media literacy education.
Many children have access to technology and digital media and as adults, we must facilitate and guide children’s media literacy skills. Read more about media literacy in early childhood in our Media Literacy in Early Childhood: A Critical Conversation November 2017 report.
- Media Literacy Definitions published by National Association of Media Literacy Education (NAMLE)
- Media Literacy In Early Childhood: A Critical Conversation Report by the TEC Center
- Faith Rogow, PhD’s chapter, Media Literacy in Early Childhood Education: Inquiry-based Technology Integration found in Technology and Digital Media in the Early Years: Tools for Teaching and Learning, Edited by Chip Donohue, PhD (2015)
- Lisa Guernsey of New America introduces the term “Media Mentor at TEDxMidAtlantic
- Video to help Latino Parents become Media Mentors from Common Sense Latino, Joan Ganz Cooney Center and Abriendo Puertas
- Developing Habits of Inquiry and Reflection from Project Look Sharp and Insighters Educational Consulting
- U of M’s C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital Digital Media Guide for Parents
- Ask the Mediatrician by Michael Rich
- Digital Readiness Gaps written by John Horrigan, published by Pew Research Center
- Ten Technology in Early Childhood Policy Statements You Should Know by Jenna Herdzina